Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What qualifications do I need to start working as a C++ programmer?

Is there a course in the UK that only teaches C++, if not is there at least one that only teaches programming languages?


Ok, basically what I'm trying to find out is: what qualifications do I need to start working as a C++ programmer? I’ve browsed the Internet looking for job descriptions, but all I’ve found is that companies only look for "experienced C++ programmer" (which makes me think, how did these guys start?) and "qualifications in software engineering" (could it be more vague?) are a must. I then tried to find appropriate courses, but the ones I find are either unreliable (I'm looking for a recognized qualification) or they are too broad (e.g. "Computer Science" courses).


I am currently studying Business Management (at a degree level) and I will hopefully graduate in 2009. I haven’t done any studies in computing, I just learn C++ at home (with Sams Teach Yourself).

What qualifications do I need to start working as a C++ programmer?
either study on your own or go to Computer Science.(just take some lessons in it, you don't have to take the entire course)





it may cover lots of topics but knowing C++ is not enough to get a job as a C++ programmer.


firstly because you can't code a big project all on your own. you will only be given smaller parts to work own because of the object-oriented approach. (you may need to take some software engineering lessons)





second because if you only know C++ you will only be concerned about coding in C++. there are lots of powerful languages out there. and since you only have background on the software part, you will have no idea on how it is actually implemented in the hardware. you will not know how the codes you write is implemented (you may not care about this but knowing how it works will give you an edge over others because you can manipulate the hardware.)
Reply:a smart person once said: specification is for insects.





nowadays computer systems are complex; often, parts are executed on a server, others on a client. there are different operating systems and environments involved. C++ is not used very often, it's a niche language, like C. so don't forget to get experience about other languages and operating systems. Also, try to write programs which you then can show off when trying to get a job. this will not only give you experience, it will also show that you're willing to invest time and effort and don't give up when you have to deal with obstacles.

flower garden

No comments:

Post a Comment