Sunday, July 12, 2009

Which programming languages should I learn to prepare for a career in financial modeling?

I have seen a lot of job descriptions talk about C# C++ Matlab SAS etc ... I would like to know which language should I try to learn if I want a job as a quant at a big Investment Bank? What programming skills are in demand in the industry? Also, please tell me the best way to go about learning the language? note: I am a student with limited cash supply. Thanks

Which programming languages should I learn to prepare for a career in financial modeling?
My priority would be SAS, C/C++, C#, SQL, Visual Basic. Some knowledge of SAS or other statistical systems is a must. Most top-tier investment banks would not consider candidates without C/C++.





Best wishes.
Reply:A career in Financial Engineering will entail a detailed level of knowledge in finance, accounting, and information systems. A Financial Engineer focuses on analysis of financial and accounting based reports for an organization using financial analysis tools such as SAS, SAS, Microsoft Excel, Spreadsheets, and other Data Analysis Tools.





A Financial Engineer will be required to have a more than average ability within information systems. Often Financial Engineers are required to know advanced database systems such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server as well as tools that are used for analysis with advanced database systems.





There are many free resources on the web for learning these languages.





Salary outlook for Financial Engineers can range anywhere from $40,000 to $80,000 on average depending on the level of the position.


No comments:

Post a Comment